Monday, March 2, 2009

MLS to PDX a lock?

It seems that the Rose City is looking like a go for MLS expansion. Their city government Okay'd 85 million in tax bonds to be paid back with profits from the club. The funds will be used to build a new minor league baseball stadium and renovate PGE park to be MLS ready. I love this news, out of all the candidate cities in this batch the only one I want to see as part of MLS is Portland. They have a long history with the club in their city. They have a great established base of supporters. They have a stadium all but ready to go in a great location, and now with the cash to set it up just how they want it. Portland seems to have everything needed to make a great MLS city. If it were up to me (and it isn't for many very good reasons) I would only accept the Portland bid in this round of expansion. None of the other cities have either strong support in their ownership, or haven't proven they can support soccer. Another reason I personally also don't want to dilute the talent pool or overextend a league NASL style. Congrats Portland!

Now it's your turn, sound off and let me know what you think of MLS expansion and the new PTFC news.

1 comment:

  1. Dude what about Miami? That would be so awesome to have another fake mini-me club playing in front of 8000 fans

    ReplyDelete